Thursday, October 28, 2010

Adventures in Allergy-Free Cooking, Part 1

As you may recall, in my post about Colin's 2nd year update, I challenged myself to begin branching out in the allergy-free world to find new foods for Colin. I have tried pizza, as you may remember from this post, but he was not a big fan! I also tried turkey meatballs, which he also didn't like. But this week, I think I've scored pretty big! 

For their Halloween party at school, I decided to try my hand at this recipe for Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. YUM. I made a few slight variations for ours- allergy-free yellow cake mix with egg replacer and I made mini's instead of regular cupcakes since they were for little guys (and gals!). I also used Canola oil in place of vegetable oil that the cake mix calls for because vegetable oil comes from soybeans. Oh the things you learn! 

Either way, the cupcakes turned out great! Chris and I couldn't stop 'testing' them! I think those mini's have a somewhat addictive appeal to them. P.S. Reynold's makes some of the sweetest little cupcake liners I have EVER seen! Kroger had a very good selection! No word on what the kids thought of the cupcakes yet- I will keep you posted.

Not to keep you waiting for more, I also tried this recipe for gluten-free, egg-free chicken tenders. I used Greek yogurt in place of the mayonnaise and added the spices to the yogurt-mix rather than the cereal crumbs. I also used Rice Krispie cereal in place of the Rice Chex because it was all that I had on hand. The recipe was a great success! Colin loved them! I will definitely be making these more often. I served the chicken tenders with asparagus spears and brown rice but they would also be good with mashed potatoes and green beans. Can't wait to make them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment