Tuesday, April 30, 2013

'There's a car in my shoe...'

Oh, Colin. How do I begin...

Colin was in a hurry to get his shoes on this morning. Thinking nothing of it, I put on his brother's shoes and tied his shoes, grateful that he had taken the steps to at least do that for me. As we pulled out of the driveway and headed to school, I heard him say: 'There's a car in my shoe. A little black car. It's tucked in there so cute'. Exact quote.

Funny, I thought. But Colin says funny things sometimes (or a lot) out of the blue so I didn't think too much into it. Fast forward to school.

I get Salem out of the car, I get Colin out of the car. Wyat's mom is walking by and stops to chat. Colin tells her that he likes her shoes. Then says: 'I have a car in my shoe'. She smiles and walks away. I don't want to know what she was thinking. By this time, I've also noticed that he is walking with somewhat of a limp and may, in fact, have a car in his shoe.

After we drop Salem off to his room, I walk Colin to his room and sit him down to take his shoes off. Sure enough, there was a black MatchBox car tucked into his sock. Resting in the arch of his foot. My son tried to smuggle a car into school today. Kind of ingenious.

I know this is random but I had to write it down. It's one of those little stories that I don't want to forget. Someday, when he's older I'd like to read this with him and laugh. And remember.

And remember how he reaches over in the backseat and asks his brother to 'hold my hand' each day after school.

And how we read Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and also watched the movie by the same name almost every night for about three weeks straight until we returned the movie to Nana and Pop and the book to the library.

Maybe one day he will grow up to be a weatherman. Or maybe a car smuggler. I'm hoping for the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment